Industries are being developed and disrupted by digitization. The international consultancy company McKinsey looked into this topic. One of the results: the construction industry is among the least digitized industries compared to other industries like the automotive industry. As a result, 20 per cent of all building projects are delayed and in 80 per cent of all projects, the budget is exceeded. For everyone involved, this means large differences in timing and budget compared to the original plan. Besides, building labour productivity has not increased in recent decades.
This whitepaper explains:
1. Digitization of the construction industry
2. Building modelling – from paper to digital
3. CAD and BIM: Definitions and differences
4. Communication of BIM data
5. The role of manufacturers in digital modelling